Thursday, September 12, 2013

Friday the 13th

I grew up with a moderate amount of superstition, not including religious matters. My maternal grandmother was superstitious in the extreme. My paternal grandmother was the opposite. I think the level of superstition in a family must be determined by the grandmother.

On Friday the 13th, maternal grandma would scarcely chance leaving the house. She also believed in exiting the house through the same door you entered. And if your nose itched, company would arrive soon. And so forth. She died some years ago.

My non-superstitious grandma is still living and will probably not notice the date unless the evening news makes note of it.

Superstitions are quaint and funny and give life a little more color. Still...I'm glad I don't have any big ones. You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment