Friday, October 18, 2013

Ticket prices

I haven't gone to a concert or to the theater in years and years, so when I started browsing tickets this afternoon, I sort of got a wake up call. Tickets that would have been $75 back in the day were going for between $200 - $300. Um...wow?

I'm not sure when this happened, but it is mucho depressing. I like to think that the higher prices reflect market demand, but somehow, I don't think that's the case, except with sporting event tickets. BTW, I cannot imagine spending well over $1,000 to watch the SEC championship from the semi-nosebleed section, nor would I want to. Geez...are all rednecks rich???

Actually, I'm not at all sure why event tickets cost so much. Inflation? Increased overhead? Supply-and-demand dysfunction? Or maybe I'm cheap. I mean...I don't have a lot of money. The only reason I'm even looking at tickets like this is because I won a gift card to stubhub.com and wanted to see what I could do with what initially felt like fabulous riches.

(Thank you, Coors, for the gift card! I'm totally not ungrateful! Just shocked!)

What to do, though, now that I know. Less cool event, better seats? Cooler event, cheap seats?

I seriously want to take my partner to see The Book of Mormon at The Fox in Atlanta since it's in town right before his birthday, but tickets for the orchestra level start at $115. Dress circle is a little less pricey, but he's from New York and is accustomed to better seats than that.

I sound a little awful, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment